Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Where are the party favors?

You are invited to Sherry's pity party ...

Oh wait - if it's my pity party, then I suppose it might get a tad bit crowded if I invite guests, huh?

Never mind, then. But, you're certainly welcome to stay if you'd like.

I'm having one of "those" kind of days. I can't say the right thing; I can't do the right thing; and I can't even feel the right thing. I'm just a jumbled mess of emotions.

I'm becoming convinced that I really am broken, and there are invisible Band-Aids strategically placed everywhere on and in my body, keeping me from breaking apart entirely and collapsing into a massive heap of despair.

I hate days like this. It's as if there's this invisible person sitting next to me, menacingly poking at me constantly and irritating the shit out of me. I wish I could snap my fingers and everything would be instantly better. If only it were that easy to fix everything that's broken ...

Life has been so much harder and so much more disappointing in the 11 months since losing Ryan. I'm having a very difficult time finding even a sliver of joy in anything lately. Between my dad's health, our fertility issues, both mine and Mike's jobs, and Ryan's birthday lurking around the corner, I just can't help but feel very let down by everything.

The more time that lapses since the last time I held my beloved baby, the more I feel that hope is slipping through my fingers. I try as hard as I can to hold on to it, but all my frenzied grasps are in vain.

I want to be optimistic - I really do - but it takes more energy and effort than I can put forth at the moment. Most of my drive has been used up by all the upsets and disappointments that have come my way; the well is almost dry and there is no reserve.

This gloomy feeling will probably pass or improve, but right now, it feels pretty darn permanent and lonely.

Please excuse me while I go drown my sorrows in some cake.

9 Comments:

  • At July 12, 2006 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ((Sherry)). I wish there was more I could do. I hate saying that, because it sounds so futile.

    Tell that DH of yours to give you a big hug tonight. Take it easy, sweetie.

     
  • At July 12, 2006 4:35 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    As long as it's chocolate cake, then it's a darn good pity party.

    And even though you feel lonely, you are not alone. Some of us are down in the pit with you...some of us are climbing out...some of us are at the top cheering you on. We all care about you and we understand. Hang on...just keep hanging on.

     
  • At July 12, 2006 10:25 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    (((hugs)))

     
  • At July 12, 2006 10:58 PM, Blogger Chrissy said…

    Hi. It's me again. I've always found such comfort in poetry and I'm afraid I'm about to throw another one at you. I hope tomorrow brings more optimism for you. (((hugs)))

    Hold your head high and scream the last two lines as loud as you can even if it is in a pillow.

    William Ernest Henley. 1849–1903

    7. Invictus

    OUT of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance 5
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade, 10
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate: 15
    I am the captain of my soul.

     
  • At July 12, 2006 11:42 PM, Blogger kate said…

    ((((((((hugs))))))) cake is good...

    It gets really hard as the first birthday approaches....then it lessens some, for most people. I am thinking of you and your sweet Ryan...

     
  • At July 13, 2006 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ((((Sherry))))) I hurt reading your posts cause like so many I have no idea what to say or do to make things a little better for you. I know with all the things in your life going on its hard to see good but I trust in a higher power that you will have good fortunes in your future!!! I hope everything goes as well as can be for your Dad tomorrow. I know with Ryan' birthday quickly approaching things will be harder on you but remember you have many people who love you and are here for you if you need a shoulder to lean on!! ((((HUGS)))) hope you get a good sleep tonight sweetie!!!

     
  • At July 13, 2006 12:34 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    (((hugs)) Sherry.

     
  • At July 13, 2006 2:37 PM, Blogger Doodle - said…

    one step back

    (((((((SHERRY))))))))

     
  • At July 13, 2006 7:43 PM, Blogger Kori said…

    And chocolate and ice cream - you must have ice cream...and maybe some gummy bears - biting the heads off has a soothing effect ;)

    I just want to give you a huge hug and send you a box of virtual saran wrap - it holds things better than bandaids and is clear. BTW, lmao about the invisible person poking you because I feel like that a lot and it just perfectly described it.

    Tell you what, I am really good at the Martha Stewart stuff lately...I'll make your party favors...it's gonna be t-shirts that have an iron transfer that reads "Stop Poking Me F***ER" :) It'll be great for the days when you feel like this...and then just plain old funny for days when you are feeling good :) (it'll confuse the checkout boy at the store ;))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home