Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Scared shitless

I haven't mentioned my dad's health in a few months because I figured nothing would change before his Medicare coverage started at the beginning of July. Of course, I didn't except that his condition could deteriorate in the meantime. From how he explained what was going on - which he seemed to have downplayed to spare me from more anguish - waiting till July wouldn't compromise his overall health.

But, today everything is different.

Late last night, he sent me an e-mail, explaining that he had been admitted to the hospital and was there for 13 days for antibiotic treatment and was discharged on the 7th. He went on to say that around the 29th of this month he'll be going back into the hospital, and at that time, the surgical team will perform a 20-hour operation that will involve removal of the cancer - which, fortunately, is squamous cell carcinoma that hasn't invaded any where else in his body - as well as reconstruction of his nose and face. He also warned me that he will probably lose his right eye.

I had been trying to absorb this news all morning when I got an unexpected call from my dad's stepdaughter. She explained that my dad wasn't feeling "right" this morning and almost passed out, so he's back in the hospital. She didn't have any specific information, other than he's had three "procedures" (whatever that means), but he hadn't even been admitted yet.

Even though my dad and I have a very unconventional relationship, it doesn't hurt any less that this is all happening. I'm terrified for him, and I'm trying my best to honor his wish of me not seeing him in his current condition, but what if his situation is grave? Do I still respect his wish and stay here in North Carolina, wondering what's going on 500 miles away while he's possibly on his deathbed?

I can't believe this is happening and happening so quickly. I feel like I did when I first heard the severity of Ryan's news: I'm ready to throw up and I don't know what to do.

Ryan isn't allowed to meet his grandpa yet. No.

Do you hear me, God? It's not time ...

15 Comments:

  • At June 14, 2006 12:32 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    I'm going to tell you to be selfish in this and go see him. It will mean a lot to you both, no matter what happens.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

     
  • At June 14, 2006 2:24 PM, Blogger Momma Jen said…

    I agree w/the previous poster. Go see him...it will do you good.

    I will continue to think of you and pray for your family.

     
  • At June 14, 2006 3:12 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    Hi Shari,
    I don't know if you remember me from the Aug '06 playgroup, but I'm your "neighbor" in SC. I'm sending you some huge ((HUGS)) b/c I know this can't be easy, especially considering everything you've been through... I understand that he doesn't want you to see him this way...but how would you feel if you didn't get to see him at all? I say go with your gut.....if you want and need to go see him, then do it.

    I continue to keep you in my prayers....
    ((Hugs)),
    Your neighbor to the south, Lori

     
  • At June 14, 2006 3:29 PM, Blogger sillyhummingbird said…

    I agree, too--go see him. You won't be sorry you did. Keeping you both in my prayers.

     
  • At June 14, 2006 5:06 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    Oh No sher...So sorry to hear this. I think that you should follow your heart with what to do.

     
  • At June 14, 2006 8:12 PM, Blogger Chrissy said…

    ((((((Hugs)))))

    I hope you can get some more detailed answers. Can you call the hospital to get more information? I hope his health improves!

     
  • At June 14, 2006 10:43 PM, Blogger kate said…

    Go see him if you want to. Perhaps, though, his situation is not that grave yet. Is there any way to get more information?

    I have a bad relationship with my dad, who is having health troubles too. So it becomes very confusing fast...i am thinking of you....

     
  • At June 14, 2006 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Sherry Im soooo sorry to hear this has happened and I agree with PP that you should go see him!! I will pray for you and your Dad that all is fine and he will pull through!!!

     
  • At June 14, 2006 10:57 PM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    Sherry I'm so sorry - I had no idea!! I feel just sick for you!!

    I agree, go see him if that's what you want to do. I'm betting that even though he thinks he doesn't want you to see him, he'll be very glad you came.

    I'm so sorry...I'll be thinking of all of you and hoping for some very, very good news.

    (((((((((HUGS)))))))))

     
  • At June 15, 2006 11:22 AM, Blogger MB said…

    I hope you go see him. Hugs to you and I'm thinking of you...

     
  • At June 15, 2006 5:01 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    ((hugs)) - If you feel it is right for you...I'd go see him. It may be your Dad's pride that is causing him to shut people out. I'd look out for your feelings...do what feels right. Many prayers to you.

     
  • At June 15, 2006 7:39 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    I'm so sorry, Sherry.

    I agree with everyone else---Go. I'm sure that he will be really happy to see you (even though he may not think that right now)and it will help your heart to see him.

     
  • At June 16, 2006 10:41 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    oh Sher! (((hugs))) I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going well for your Dad. I'll be thinking of him!

     
  • At June 16, 2006 5:02 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    ((((Sher)))) I'm so sorry that this is happening. Sending you lots of strength and PPT.

     
  • At June 16, 2006 11:09 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    (((((HUGS)))))
    I have no idea what else I can say.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home