Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Sunday, June 11, 2006

"I'll Be There For You"

Through the loss of my beloved baby Ryan ten months ago today, I gained a wonderful friendship with Kristin, who understands the enormous hole left in your heart when you lose your baby.

She has been there for me when it matters the most, and she manages to surprise me with the sweetest of gestures. I hate that it took losing our boys to forge our friendship, but I'm eternally grateful that she reached out to me in my time of need. That's what a true friend does.

Because of that, she and her precious Thomas will always have a special place in my heart.

In Thomas' honor, we planted an Autumn Blaze maple tree. I had wanted to plant the same variety as Kristin's Thomas tree (Pacific Sunset), but the species is unavailable in our area. (In the background, you can see the spinning balloon that Mike gave me for Mother's Day.) This is my way of making certain that Thomas is always remembered and is my way of showing the significance his little life has had on me.

When Thomas was taken from Kristin, I became painfully aware of just how fleeting life can be, and I tried my best to treasure every moment of my pregnancy with Ryan, since I didn't know how much time we'd have together and I knew it could be gone in an instant. Little did I know back then that those treasured moments - Ryan tucked away safely in my belly - would be the greatest we'd ever have.

Kristin also sent a baby Colorado Spruce when we lost most of the trees at the back of our property to developers. I've been protecting it from the rigors of an already-steamy summer by keeping it in a shaded spot on our front porch, and it has shown its appreciation by sprouting new branches-to-be. Every morning on my way to work, I can't help but smile when I pass this tiny tree, which is barely more than a branch. I know that, despite its teeny existence now, one day it will grow to be a beautiful tree, providing food and shelter to all sorts of critters.

Thank you, K, for a friendship that I can never thank you enough for. You've taught me so much about myself and about what it means to be a true friend.

4 Comments:

  • At June 11, 2006 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish you good friends which care for you.
    Wishes of hope and love from a belgian blogger

     
  • At June 11, 2006 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sherry that was so beautiful and I love watching both of your precious gardens flourish the way your friendship has, Im so glad you two can be there for one another and understand when words are not spoken what the other is thinking. Thanks for sharing a bit of your friendship with us :)

     
  • At June 12, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Momma Jen said…

    I am so honored to know you and CK. Many hugs to you 2 and the wonderful friendship you share.

     
  • At June 12, 2006 1:49 PM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    Oh Sherry, you're so sweet! Thank you so much - and I feel the same about you. You've been there for me right from the start, even when I know it was really hard for you. It means the world to me to have someone who truly understands - I felt so alone until we connected (boys can only listen to so much from their darling wives).

    I too wish we'd "met" under different, and much, much happier circumstances, but I'm still very glad that you're a part of my life - and I hope you know that you're a very, very good friend indeed.

    ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home