Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Friday, June 23, 2006

More news

I have been a lousy member of the blogging community as of late. Life has been running in high gear, and I've barely been able to keep up. I'm like the hamster on the exercise wheel that's spinning too fast, whose furry ass flies up into the back of the wheel because his little feet can't run as fast as the wheel is spinning. That's me - minus the furry ass.

In my defense, though, Mike's computer is still being serviced, the modem on my beloved Mac has crapped out, and we've been crazy-busy at work. Those conditions aren't exactly conducive to making profound blog entries ... or to reading my favorite blogs.

There is good news, though: My dad was released from the hospital (till next week's big surgery) on Wednesday, my birthday. I couldn't have asked for a better present. Hearing his chipper voice and knowing he was in the comfort of his own home, sitting in his favorite chair, was a wish come true.

Despite the events of the last 10 days, what unfolded really was a blessing, because had he had a seizure or irregular heartbeat while on the operating table during next weeks's procedure, the outcome could've been tragic. Someone was looking out for him ... or, at least I hope that "someone" is looking out for him and will continue to do so.

And, yes, I celebrated another birthday on Wednesday. It didn't start off in a celebratory fashion, but I felt more giddy as the day wore on. Originally, I wanted to be anonymous the way I am the other 364 days of the year, but then I realized that there are people who want to celebrate my birthday, because they're happy I was born. And, I can relate to that feeling of pure joy of celebrating the day of someone you love. I'll always be happy and thankful for little Ryan's birth day, the first of which is a mere seven weeks off.

The day was strange, though, because I kept reliving last year's birthday, which couldn't have been more perfect. I was 30 weeks pregnant and the night of my birthday, we attended our first childbirth class. Ryan was especially active that night, and I kept giggling as he tumbled and poked at his "house," making his presence known as best he could. Afterwards, the three of us went out for milkshakes. I smiled so much that my face literally hurt. I have no doubt that that will be the fondest of birthday memories.

Next weekend we're heading to visit my dad during his recovery period. It will be a short visit, but it's long overdue and I'm actually excited about making the trip. His illness has brought out a new, softened side of him, and I can really feel that he and I are growing closer. I hate that it's taken something so dramatic to make that happen, but I'm grateful nonetheless. Better late than never.

Hopefully I won't be computer disabled for much longer so I can fully jump back in the swing of things. In the meantime, don't forget about me!

3 Comments:

  • At June 23, 2006 3:50 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    It's WONDERFUL to hear that your dad is doing well enough to be home!

    And I'm glad you are getting closer to him. I hope you enjoy your visit with him!

     
  • At June 23, 2006 4:33 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    Well Happy Belated Birthday to you!

    I'm glad your dad is home and you're feeling more at ease.

    Had to laugh at the thought of you with a furry hamster ass.

     
  • At June 23, 2006 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Im glad your Dad is home and doing better and It will be nice for the 2 of you to spend time together. Yes your birthday is worth celebrating your a wonderful person and friend!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home