Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Monday, July 10, 2006

It's just "stuff" ... right?

As anyone who has lost a baby knows, you wind up with lots of "things" that were intended for your baby who never came home. Diapers, wipes, bedding, blankies, onesies, sleepers, burp cloths, bath toys, ointments, lotions, bottles, pacifiers - the list goes on.

While Mike and I were stocking Ryan's nursery, we made the natural assumption that everything in there was his. We did what any expectant parents do: Prepare to bring a precious new life home from the hospital.

But, now how do I refer to all those unused items? Yes, they were bought for Ryan, with the intention of using them on/for him, but since he never used anything, how can those items still be lableled as his exclusively?

I feel like these items are in some sort of limbo. They're his things, but not really. They were bought for him, but he never touched any of them, so they aren't really his things.

This perplexing question came to light today after I suggested to Mike to have a teddy bear made from a receiving blanket that was going to be Ryan's. I didn't see any harm in it and thought it would be nice to have a sentimental memento that we could keep on our bed - or keep for the nursery's future occupant.

Mike immediately vetoed my suggestion and flat-out said that there's no way we're cutting up any of Ryan's things. Period. End of discussion. And, unless those "things" were to be used for Ryan's brother or sister or to be donated (at a point much further down the road), nothing would be done to alter them.

I'm really confused by all of this, because I'm the overly sensitive type and he's the hard-as-nails common-sense type, so I figured I'd be the one who'd never be able to part with my baby's "stuff." But, instead, I'm the one who sees these things as just "things," and Mike's the one who won't part with a single thing.

I'm not calloused about all of this - just practical. All of the stuff that's in Ryan's nursery is just stuff. It'll never be him and keeping those items in their pristine condition will never change the fact that he's gone and will never come back to use them. Never. Sure, there are certain items that I bought with him in mind specifically, but, for the most part, the clothing and blankets are generic supplies. But, I'm afraid that Mike is directly associating all of those things with Ryan, and by moving or altering any of those things, we're somehow betraying our baby.

This is a really touchy subject and I'm not quite sure how to approach handling it. I don't want to dismiss Mike's justification for hanging on to these things, because, obviously, he feels very strongly about keeping everything. But, it's been 11 months and I feel that it's okay for us to view all of those items differently, since they may never be used in the way we intended.

And, really, the only "stuff" that I view as Ryan's are the items in his memory box given to us at the hospital. That contains the physical part of him that we were blessed with for two days: His newborn cap, his booties, his shirt (the only clothes he ever wore), a Pampers Swaddler diaper, his blood-pressure cuff, his thermometer, his arm band, his hand and foot prints, a lock of hair taped to an index card, and the blankie we put in his isolette. By definition, those were his things, not all the stuff we felt compelled to buy.

Altering or donating those things we bought in anticipation of his arrival won't erase or change the memory of him. If all of those things disappeared right now, he'd still live on in our minds just as he does now. Forever. We don't need those physical "things" for that.

That's the "stuff" that's really important, right?

6 Comments:

  • At July 10, 2006 9:55 PM, Blogger Kori said…

    I'm always touched when we, as couples, exchange our roles in how we view things. Matt is a lot like Mike normally and when he has strong opinions (ones that I thought I would normally have but don't) it makes it more clear to me that if it matters that much to him and doesn't matter that much to me that I'll give him this one 'thing'. I think that Mike must see it as there is not much to hold on to and he wants to embrace as much as he can of the beautiful journey that was Ryan's life, from conception...including all the items that were bought or given to you with the intention of Ryan using them. They say guys are visual - maybe the sight of these things is comforting to him and is his connection to remembering Ryan - the anticipation of Ryan - a time when there was still that innocence and hope and dream of bringing Ryan home.

    I obviously can't speak for him, I'm only imagining what it would be if Matt were to feel strongly about something like this.

    *HUGS*

     
  • At July 10, 2006 10:56 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    Maybe he is just at a different place in the grieving process. I know I bought a book for our baby the day after I found out I was pregnant. Even though I never got to meet that baby the book hasn't been read to Matthew by me yet. It makes me too sad...my husband on the other hand reads it to him often. I'm not saying I never will read him the story...but right now I can't. Maybe Mike just needs some more time. (((hugs)))

     
  • At July 11, 2006 1:13 AM, Blogger delphi said…

    We are both just waiting with the things. I didn't know what to do with our son's things until my husband said to me that, someday, somehow, these things would be hand-me-downs from our son to a future sibling. Those things make more sense to me now. They are waiting. As are we.

    Thank you for sharing this - it makes me think more about our own situation with "his things".

     
  • At July 11, 2006 12:43 PM, Blogger kate said…

    That is very sweet of your husband...

    I personally have a strong attachment to stuff, so this kind of thing is a big deal to me. Nicolas didn't have much 'stuff' of his own, mostly handme downs, because i was trying to be frugal. So what little he had i am attached to. My dh doesn't care at all.

    One thing i had trouble with was a book that i had got for Alexander as a 'big brother' gift while i was expecting Nicolas. By the time Chloe came around, he was a little too old for it. Plus, for some reason i didn't want to give it to him for Chloe when i had bought it because of Nicolas? I held on to it and gave it to a friend's son when she had her sub. I knew it was the *right* thing to do with it, and disposing properly of this book brought me some peace. But it took nearly 3 years to find the right home for that piece of 'stuff'.

     
  • At July 11, 2006 3:48 PM, Blogger MB said…

    I have given a few choice things to some friends. Things that I knew they would use and know they are special if only to me. But, I still have everything. I have the diapers and the bottles and all of it. All of it. Most of it still tucked away in the closet or drawers just as I left it.

    When we found out Audrey was gone, her room was unfinished. The stuff was all there, her dresser was loaded, the changing table was loaded, but the paint wasn't finished and we hadn't started the wallpaper. I know we could have just not finished it. I know we coud have just started over from there and made it something else. But in my mind, it was still Audrey's room and I didn't want that to just go away.

    Before I came home from the hospital, my mom (who was helping me with it) asked my dh what she should do. I love him even more because he said "finish it". No questions, he didn't even ask me what I wanted. He just said finish it.

    Almost 2 years later, it's all the same. It was finished before we brought her ashes home. Her perfect little room with all of her things, there for her even if she never got to enjoy them.

    I have often wondered what I will do if there is ever another baby. i don't think I'll be able to take it down. If we have another girl, I think I will redo it. Only because I believe each little person should have their own space and I would never want another child to feel to be in Audrey's shadow. But, I think we would wait to bring a new baby home and redo it when we know it's right.

    So many decisions and choices we have made that no parent should have to make. My heart breaks for you and with you.

     
  • At July 12, 2006 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sherry I think your right in one sense that you have come to a point in the grieving process where you can see them as just things not Ryan's things but stuff you bought, where as Mike is still in the frame of mind that these things are still very significant for him and moving them or donating them makes him feel out of control once again kwim? I think he just feels he couldnt control what happened to Ryan but he can control what happens with his stuff....maybe give him a little more time and revisit the idea of what to do with Ryan's things. I hope this made sense in some way!! I cant imagine what either of you are feeling I can only offer you many hugs and hope that the days ahead arent too trying on you both. ((((HUGS))))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home