Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Saturday, July 15, 2006

Relief

My dad has his surgery on Thursday, and, after 24 hours, all the cancer was removed. Luckily, it hadn't spread to his brain, which was a very real and scary possibility. And, the doctors were able to save his left eye, which was an uncertainty up till the very last moment of the procedure. Unfortunately, though, during the operation it was discovered that the cancer had invaded the roof of his mouth, so that had to be removed. I think he would agree that that's a small price to pay to at least have partial sight.

He's still unconscious - and probably will be for at least the next week or so - but he's stable.

Stable is good. Very good.

After I had received all of this news last night, I couldn't help but cry. Cry because I was happy; cry because I was sad for him; cry because I was relieved; cry just because I needed to.

The last 6+ months have been hellishly traumatic for everyone involved in my dad's situation, and it seems as though we've finally turned a corner. My frustration over his lack of care is slowly waning, while my optimism is slowly returning.

Even though my father obviously needed this operation to happen much more than I, I needed this very complicated procedure to be a success. I needed to know and believe that miracles can and do happen, instead of thinking they're outcomes that only happen to other people. Urban legends, if you will. Something you hear stories about, but you never know the people in those fortunate stories.

For once, I wanted to be part of a story with a happy ending, and I am so very thankful that I am.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home