Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Tuesday, July 25, 2006

My, how a year changes things



This is the picture I couldn't stop looking at a year ago today. Yes, I even held it sideways (just as it's posted here) so I could better make out the image of my sweet little boy as he sucked on his perfect little hand. I walked away from that ultrasound thinking that nothing could spoil my happy ending after all, and it was merely first-time-mom jitters and paranoia that had me convinced something was wrong with my baby.

God, I wish my gut instinct had been way off.

That was the last glimpse I had of my baby when he was safely tucked away in my belly and all was seemingly right with the world. I would almost lie, cheat, and steal to go back to that blissful Tuesday a year ago. And, if there were no such things as accountability and responsibility, I would go to any length to return to that one happy moment in my life. But, alas, no such possibility exists.

I still can't believe my world today is so painfully different than I thought it would be on this day. I thought I'd be hurriedly and excitedly planning Ryan's first birthday party as I watched and chased a little "franken-baby" stomping his way through our house, terrorizing the family pets. Instead, I'm trying to hold myself together to make it through a time that will forever be overshadowed by sorrow and grief, regardless of what good manages to creep into my life in the years ahead.

The events of the last year are quickly culminating in a tight knot that's lodged in my gut, and all the emotions from last summer are rushing back and bombarding me all at once. It's like standing in an open field when a sudden rain shower begins. There's no where to seek shelter, so you just stand there while you're pelted by huge raindrops, knowing it's too late to dash off to a dry spot. It's just easier resigning yourself to getting soaked down to the bone, rather than frantically trying to escape the downpour.

Since Ryan's death, I've discovered things about myself and my life that I never wanted to know. I never knew I could feel anger and disappointment when my eyes fell upon a pregnant woman. I never thought it possible that the sight of an anonymous family could reduce me to tears. I never imagined I wouldn't be pregnant by the time Ryan's first birthday rolled around. (And, at this rate, I'll be mighty lucky if I'm pregnant by the time the next one pops up.) I wouldn't have thought I'd be filled with so much self-doubt. I didn't think I'd find myself questioning God's decisions and His will and asking Him the same unanswerable questions over and over. And, I certainly never expected to feel as utterly unhappy as I do today.

But, this is, unfortunately, how dramatically I've changed in a year, whether I like it or not. I wasn't expecting these sort of changes, but rather, was expecting a new, good side of me to be revealed.

But, it might be interesting - or humorous - to see how my life changes over the next year.

Or maybe it won't.

12 Comments:

  • At July 25, 2006 9:58 AM, Blogger Catherine said…

    I wasn't expecting these sort of changes, but rather, was expecting a new, good side of me to be revealed.

    I know it doesn't feel like it, but a good side of you HAS been revealed. You share your story. And your love and support have made a difference to many of us during these past months. Though it's not the first birthday wish you dreamed of, I want you to know how deeply appreciative I am for your kindness. Thank you. I hope you are able to find some peaceful moments that aren't as painful. You deserve to remember the happiness with a smile...not just tears.

    {{{hugs}}}

     
  • At July 25, 2006 10:11 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    Sher, my heart aches for you every day....every single day. A good side of you has been shown. You have shared your love for Ryan and your heartache with many women and you have made a huge difference in the appreciation we all feel for the blessing of children.

    It WILL happen for you.......you WILL have another blessing. And I hope you are able to find some measure of peace over the next month.

     
  • At July 25, 2006 2:40 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    I'm so sorry, Sherry. Catherine is so much better at saying it than I am, but that is what I feel too. Most of your posts are almost like they were right out of my own head--you help me so much. Just remember, you're not alone and you are loved. ((hugs))

     
  • At July 25, 2006 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The other people said it best, so I will not reiterate.

    Just know that you have made a difference in my life, and someday I hope to return the favor.

    Not a day goes by that I don't think about you, and wish you the best.

    We are here for you, and we always will be.

     
  • At July 25, 2006 9:43 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    I don't know what to say other than (((((HUGS)))))

     
  • At July 25, 2006 11:21 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    I considered myself blessed to 'know' you as well. Many hugs and prayers to you.

     
  • At July 25, 2006 11:58 PM, Blogger kate said…

    (((((((hugs)))))))

    What Catherine said...i can't say it better.

    I am thinking of you and your sweet Ryan as his first birthday approaches....

     
  • At July 26, 2006 3:36 AM, Blogger Kori said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At July 26, 2006 8:44 AM, Blogger Nicole said…

    (((hugs)) and thinking of you constantly as sweet Ryan's first bday approaches.

     
  • At July 27, 2006 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sher what can I say that I havent said before, you are such a beacon of strength and Im a better person for knowing you and sharing in your memories of Ryan. You have show such compassion and kindness to me this past year when I know how difficult it must be to share in joys with us about our babies, I wish Ryan was still here and we were all celebrating a different 1st birthday and I would give antyhing to give him back to you. I want you to know your in my thoughts always and Ryan is a very special part of so many people...he has touched us all in ways I never thought possible. Im proud to know you and thankful to be a part of your life. Your a great friend and Im praying this next year will bring much happiness your way...your long overdue!!!

     
  • At July 27, 2006 11:51 PM, Blogger Abby said…

    (((HUGS))) and prayers coming your way, Sherry. I only wish I could do more.

     
  • At August 11, 2006 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I lost my son, my only child, when I was 40 weeks along a few months ago...we still don't know why. But what you said, about your gut instinct? I knew too. My whole pregnancy, I just knew I was never going to bring home a baby. I knew planning my materity leave was a joke. I never uttered those words outloud and I played the role really nicely of someone who was going to get to bring home a baby.

    This sounds strange, but I find comfort in knowing other moms just "knew" too. Makes me feel less crazy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home