Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Saturday, July 29, 2006

A bowl of chicken noodle soup

This morning as I prepared our outgoing mail, I asked Mike what flavor and what type of cake I should bake for Ryan's birthday. He immediately answered "chicken noodle soup" and flashed me his signature boyish grin.

At first, I thought he misunderstood my question. Who on earth ever heard of a cake flavored like chicken noodle soup?! Eew.

But, then I realized Mike was referring to Ryan's favorite food was while he was in utero: chicken noodle soup.

That baby of mine loved when I ate C.N. soup. No other foods I ate got the warm reception that C.N. soup got. And, I loved knowing that Ryan's reaction wasn't subtle, as that was added reassurance that he was okay in his little house.

While pregnant, I hated only being able to guess what Ryan was doing in my belly. But, luckily, any time I was worried that he hadn't moved enough that day, I knew what foods to eat to elicit a reassuring response from him. It was comforting to feel his wiggles and tumbles and pokes. Those were the moments when I felt closest to him and any loneliness I was feeling was chased away in an instant once I felt just one of his gentle flutters.

After remembering how good those C.N. soup moments were with Ryan, I decided to have a bowl for lunch, hoping to once again feel that closeness with my beloved baby.

I hope he enjoyed it, because I know I sure did.

4 Comments:

  • At July 30, 2006 3:08 PM, Blogger Anam Cara said…

    I'm glad you have some nice (albeit bittersweet) memories like this one. I am so sorry you are going through all this pain. I know everyday is hard but the time leading up to the first anniversary is extremely difficult. Thinking of you and your beautiful little Ryan. (((hugs)))

     
  • At July 30, 2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Kori said…

    What a beautiful memory, thank you for sharing. :) I'm suddenly wondering what a CNS cake would taste like :) *HUGS*

     
  • At July 30, 2006 10:57 PM, Blogger Angel Mom said…

    I can't remember how I came across your blog. Probably a link from a link from another blog. I've enjoyed reading about your son Ryan. Such a beautiful little boy. I know you miss him so much, especially as you both anticipate and dread his first birthday. I love the CNS cake idea and love even more the fact that your husband remembered such a precious memory.

     
  • At July 31, 2006 11:31 AM, Blogger kate said…

    (((((((((hugs)))))))) Thinking of you and Ryan...what a beautiful memory of him!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home