Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Sunday, January 15, 2006

We've got fuzz!

After spending the last few months wondering if every strand on my head was going to fall out, I'm happy to report that the excessive shed has finally stopped and this morning I noticed that I'm working on replacement fuzz.

Whew!

I guess this was a big concern for me since I lost quite a bit of hair when I was 12 years old. The dermatologist attributed the loss to stress: My grandmother - my caregiver, guardian, step-up-to-the-plate parent - had just been diagnosed with cancer and suddenly my comfortable little existence took a turn into the land of the unexpected. And, although I didn't realize I was worried about "Grammy's" illness, subconsciously it was wreaking havoc on me and manifesting itself through my hair loss.

So, when I started to lose handfuls of hair in the shower a few weeks after delivering and losing Ryan, my old fears resurfaced. Was I actually losing SO much hair because of the stress and grief over losing my baby, or was this really what happens to most new mothers, whether their baby lived or not?

I think I can now rest easy, knowing that my hair loss was in fact completely normal, and now my hair is growing back.

The odd part is that it's growing back like baby fuzz. It's super soft and fine and even has the same sheen that a child's hair has.

Kinda ironic that I'm the one with the baby hair and not my little boy ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home