Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Tuesday, December 06, 2005

There is superstition ...

As silly as this may seem, I longer play games of chance. Nor, will I assume that my future will always be brighter just because someone once uttered the words, "Lightning doesn't strike twice."

As much as I love Chinese food, I no longer accept the customary dessert of fortune cookies. I have tired of putting what's left of my fragile hope into believing a stupid, uplifting statement on a cheap piece of paper that's stuck in a cookie. Thanks, but I'll skip dessert.

As innocent as investing in a lottery ticket seems, I have nothing to gain by participating. I won my lottery jackpot when my son was diagnosed with multiple, severe heart defects. After his diagnosis, many medical professionals referred to his afflictions as being so rare that I would've had a better chance at winning a multi-million-dollar lottery jackpot. Enough said.

If I'm ever fortunate enough again to "be with child," I will not repeat the same mistake of assuming that all will be well, and that at the end of my nine-month journey there will be a healthy baby to cuddle and love till the day I die. Nor will I accept any gifts from anyone - period. There will be no baby registries or subscriptions to parenting magazines or adding my name to mailing lists to receive discount coupons for baby formula. I was foolish enough to do it once, but not naive enough to do it twice.

As well intentioned as the world may be, with wanting to celebrate a bundle of joy's impending arrival, I do not have enough faith in happy endings that I can subject myself to that sort of disappointment by accepting baby-oriented gifts or offers. I have a house full of baby furniture and equipment, bath and diapering supplies, clothes for every season, picture frames, books, toys, and bedding, but nothing to show for it but a handful of sympathy cards, a blur of gut-wrenching memories squeezed into 54 hours, and two scars: one just above my bikini line from my C-section, and the other across my heart - the scar that will never heal.

And, don't even get me started on the supposed lucky four-leaf clover ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home