Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Wednesday, November 30, 2005

My soulmate

I've known from the moment I met Mike that he and I were "meant" to be together. In the almost eight years we've been a couple, he's always treated me as a princess - even during the times when I was far from deserving pampered, royal treatment.

Over the weekend I realized just how wonderful my husband - my soulmate - is and just how much he loves and cherishes me and our relationship.

On Sunday, I unfortunately suffered another devastating meltdown. It was not a pretty sight: uncontrollable sobbing ... snorting ... incoherent rambling ... sniffling ... followed by more sobbing.

We were attempting to decorate for the holidays since I really felt I was emotionally ready to do it. Besides, we both felt strongly that our angel would want us to rejoice and be happy about the upcoming holiday and not become recluses for the next month.

I still don't know what came over me so suddenly that caused me to become a blubbering mess. I guess it was just the mere thought of having to suffer through what should be a joyous holiday without my beloved son by my side - him taking in all the sights and sounds of his first Christmas. Realizing that dream would never, ever be fulfilled, I completely lost it.

When I get in this kind of mood, nothing can snap me out of it. It's as if I'm stuck in my own emotional whirlpool, being pulled further and further down, regardless of how desperately I try to swim away from it. Even my dear husband's best attempts to pull me back up to the surface failed, and he - the person who knows me almost as well as I know myself - knew I was in serious need of help before I completely cracked.

Unbeknownst to me, he "texted" my best friend, begging for her help, briefly explaining that I was having a serious meltdown. So, when my best friend, T, sent me a text message on my phone a few minutes later, I just assumed that she and her dear husband were out and about and she was just sharing some of her typical silliness. Unfortunately, I wasn't in any kind of mood to appreciate her giddiness and I rather rudely gave her the cold shoulder though a very curt text reply. She responded with a quick apology and said she couldn't call me just then - she and her husband were at a holiday concert - but would try her best to call later.

I spent the next several hours salvaging what I could of my dignity and apologized to Mike for behaving so badly and worrying him to death. In his usual, nurturing way, he told me that no apology was necessary.

My mood eventually improved as the day drew to a close and I was prepared to head to bed to put the dreadful day behind me when the phone rang.

It was T.

We started our conversation with the usual "how are ya?" and "what did you do this weekend?" Again, she apologized for not being able to call me when I needed her most, but I told her I understood - and I do - because it's not her job to pick me and make everything better.

She quickly changed the subject and said, "You know, you have a fantastic husband who loves you so very much." I agreed because I know it's true; not many men would love me with snot running down my face! But, then she said, "No, he really loves you and I am so glad you both have each other."

I was a little confused at this point - why would she so strongly emphasize how much Mike loves me?

That's when T told me that Mike had texted her not once, but twice, out of concern for me. He had explained that he tried all he could think of to lift my spirits, but maybe I needed to hear from my sister instead. (T and I have been friends for almost 30 years and have shared so many joys and sorrows that we call each other sisters.)

I was dumb-struck. I mean, I know that Mike would do anything for me, but I couldn't believe he was so worried that he felt he needed the help of the person who knows me almost as well as he does.

Mike had already fallen asleep while reading a book, so I decided to check if what T was telling me was actually true. I checked Mike's phone, and sure enough, he had texted her with the sweetest, albeit urgent, of messages, telling her I was in major crisis mode and that all of his efforts had failed.

Even though those messages to T were brief, his concern for me was clearly evident. Instead of just letting me wallow in my misery, he literally did everything in his power to pull me from the emotional black hole I was being sucked into.

When he and I finally made our way to bed that night, I thanked Mike for everything. He, in his usual, modest fashion, said no thanks were necessary - he just wished he could do more for me.

More?

What a selfless person ... someone I'm proud to call my husband and my soulmate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home