Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Saturday, December 03, 2005

Angels among us, pt. 2

Several weeks ago I wrote about the NICU nurses and some of the others who were involved in Ryan's care and how I view them as angels. But, in the last few weeks, I've discovered even more.

I felt inspired to add to my list after KZ, another mother in mourning, wrote about the angels in her life.

KZ, who I became acquainted with through an online pregnancy chat board, lost her precious little boy, Thomas, in March. My heart broke for her and her husband - and I just couldn't fathom how something so dreadful could happen to two people who were so deserving to be parents.

When I first arrived home from the hospital after losing Ryan, KZ reached out to me to offer her support since she knew all too well how awful it was to come home from the hospital empty-handed.

KZ has offered a tremendous amount of support, inspiration, courage, insight and a shoulder to cry on. She has so selflessly and gracefully comforted me when her own wounds from her loss are painfully fresh. KZ, if you happen to read this, please know that I will forever be grateful that you offered your friendship, support and concern. I only wish that the circumstances that brought us together were much happier. Hopefully, as we continue down this path, one day we'll find our pots of gold waiting at the end of the rainbow.

------------------------------------

When I was pregnant with Ryan, I was "buddied up" on my online pregnancy board with a gal, JF, who has turned out to be a wonderful, caring friend. Our match-up couldn't have been better suited; she helped to allay many fears I was having as a mommy-to-be and helped me to remain calm when I was freaking out over the craziest of things. She shared the joy of Ryan's arrival and cried along with me when I told her of Ryan's passing. She even went so far as organizing a collection with my other board friends, which included a beautiful bouquet of purple irises and a donation to the NICU in Ryan's name.

------------------------------------

Just recently I've become acquainted with another gal from my online chat group - RP. Earlier this week, RP notified me and asked about making a donation in Ryan's name to her local hospital's NICU. She had become disenchanted with the craziness exhibited on Black Friday and decided to make donations to worthy causes in lieu of gifts. I was more than shocked by this offer, to say the least. I mean, for all intents and purposes, I don't know RP, and yet she's willing to give to charity in my angel's memory. I can't even fully express how moved I was by her offer.

------------------------------------

I have spent the better part of two years involved in my online pregnancy group, but didn't really get to know the wonderful women there till just before I had Ryan. It's wonderful to have a place where you can ask embarrassing questions and get honest answers that don't make you feel like a moron. And, we're all drawn there for the same, beautiful reason: our desire to be the best moms possible. These women have given me so much strength and added much-needed laughter to some of my more dismal days. Again, I'm truly blessed to have such a thoughtful group of online friends who have celebrated and mourned with me - and who will be there once again to hopefully welcome Ryan's sibling into the world ...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home