Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Monday, January 16, 2006

Correction ...

After I reread my "Not again" post, I decided that it came off more harshly than I had intended. Unfortunately, my anger over another celebrity pregnancy ended up sounding like I was frowning upon any non-conformist family situation.

First off, I'm the last person in the world who should be wagging the finger of shame at anyone else's choice in familial arrangements. I had a pretty unconventional upbringing which I've never been ashamed or embarrassed about.

My parents shouldn't have become parents - period. But, luckily for me, my grandmother stepped in to do the job my parents couldn't and wouldn't do. And, when I turned 11, my grandmother petitioned the court to become my legal mother. When "mom" passed away when I was 16, I was sent to live with my uncle and his awful wife. Not a pleasant situation, but, there were few options available - and I certainly didn't want to end up as a ward of the state. But, I digress ...

My post from last week was meant to bash Brangelina and all the hub-bub surrounding their "We're Pregnant!" announcement. As an outsider looking in at the hyped-up lives of celebrities, there seem to be far too many fleeting, irresponsible relationships, where children are brought into the world without a second thought. Or, there are the staged relationships, where the only reason a couple is a couple is to breed or raise their celebrity status. There's no love. There's no commitment. And that's what I'm so tired of seeing in the headlines.

I have many friends who choose to lead their lives and raise their children outside of the popular norm. I certainly don't belittle them for their choice; it's just not the choice I'd make for my life. But, their decision doesn't make them any less committed to their relationship or any less capable in their parental role. It's just different than me.

Now, excuse me while I have a big ol' piece of humble pie ...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home