Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Monday, October 10, 2005

Stripped of my title once again

I have been having a hard enough time accepting the title of mommy when I don't think I've earned it, but it's different when someone in the outside world actually says that I'm not a mom and truly means it.

I've been at my current job almost two years, so all of my co-workers have been riding the bumpy pregnancy roller coaster right along with me. Well, they've riden enough of the ride to know what Mike and I have been through and enough to know that a little bit of tact and compassion aren't too much to ask from them right now.

When Ryan first died, my boss told me to take as much time as I needed and to not worry about work. He didn't need to tell me twice! You see, he's an asshole - simply put. I have never asked this self-centered, hypocritical bastard for a favor of any sort, so when he granted me unlimited leave, I wasn't about to question him or his motive. In my book, I was owed that time off. I had earned it, in more ways than one.

I spent eight weeks home after Ryan's death. That's it.

Sure ... maybe I didn't have dirty diapers to change or bottles to prepare during those eight weeks, but I was far from doing nothing. I was recovering from my C-section, which was a bigger deal than I had ever thought it would be. And, the biggest healing of all: trying to recover from the devastating and unexpected death of my newborn son.

I thought all of my co-workers understood this - especially the gal, DD, who I work with directly - but I was wrong.

DD made a comment three days after Ryan's memorial service that she couldn't understand why I wasn't back at work ... it's not like I was doing anything. I didn't have a baby to take care of or anything.

Excuse me?

Apparently, me being a grieving mother wasn't justification for taking an "eight-week vacation."

Yet again, I'm reminded how I've supposedly taken advantage of a perk reserved for real moms whose babies haven't died.

2 Comments:

  • At October 11, 2005 9:46 PM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    OMG - is it wrong that I have the most incredible urge to drive down there and slap that miserable, insensitive woman silly???? Why on earth would anyone expect grieving for a child to be done in a matter of days?? We will grieve for the rest of our lives as each year passes without our boys, and as milestones we know we would have celebrated go unreached year after year, but those first weeks and months are the hardest to bear. It's a miracle I got out of bed every morning. I can't even BEGIN to imagine what it would have been like to go back to work after just 72 hours.

    She's insane. Ignorance is bliss, that's for sure.

     
  • At October 16, 2005 10:18 PM, Blogger Kori said…

    I'm blog stalking again and wanted to say hi. I am pissed off and if you send me a picture of DD I've got some people that um...can rectify the situation :)

    On a serious note, what she said is inexcusable and I know that you KNOW that you are a mom; you have earned the title and you just need to wear pointy shoes and kick hard when she opens her mouth again. *HUGS*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home