Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Back ... and in the saddle again

We got home a week ago, but it seemed that life was very eager to throw us back into the real world, so upon our arrival we hit the ground running. Originally we were going to split up our drive, but after our visit to Chocolate World and after inhaling insane amounts of chocolate, we thought we could do anything. But we're not as young as we used to be and pulling an all-nighter takes a lot to recover from.

Poor Toby was terribly sick after we got home, but I don't think it was due to his stay at the kennel; the little bugger probably "Hoovered" some food that dropped on the floor. I will admit, though, that cleaning up after him for 24 hours straight on practically NO sleep almost made me feel like a real mom - cleaning up seemingly endless puke puddles all through the night, wondering if it would ever end so I could catch a moment of peace. I couldn't get that horrible smell out of my nose for days and my hands were cracked and dry from washing them so often.

But, I limped through it all - even while sleep-deprived. And, Toby is still alive and kicking, so I must've done something right by him during his sick time. It's kinda funny to me that I take some comfort in successfully nursing my dog back to good health. Those maternal feelings don't go away just because I wasn't able to mother Ryan in all the ways I had dreamed, so it's nice to have someone other than Mike to use them on. Now we just need to work on putting my mothering skills to the real test.

Speaking of which, I popped Clomid again this cycle and "triggered" last Friday. There were three ripe follicles, all ready to go. Go follies! I'll know in 10 days if I'm pregnant ... or, the more likely scenario is that I won't be and will be faced with another decision to make: to keep trying with assistance from my OB (my stint with the RE last summer was a waste of time) or to stop trying with intervention altogether and see what happens. Neither decision is one I want to make, but sometimes we have to do things we don't like, even if it breaks our heart to make that decision.

Back to the vacation re-cap ...

Canada was very, very nice. We spent several days in Niagara Falls and then headed to see Kristin and her Beloved. We had a blast with them and were able to share a special, tender moment with them at a butterfly release to honor our angel boys. It was an emotional time, but it was comforting to be with friends who understand the depths of our sorrow and our hopes and dreams for tomorrow. It was nice and refreshing to not have to explain away my tears and sniffles, since both of them could relate all too well to what I was feeling. And seeing our butterflies flutter away was priceless. Ryan's butterfly sat on my thumb for a few minutes before taking off, and Thomas' butterfly jumped onto Kristin's eyeglass frame before joining his buddies. Beautiful and bittersweet.

I'll have pictures to share, but I need to get them organized first. I hope they won't disappoint - fingers crossed!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At June 21, 2007 10:36 AM, Blogger niobe said…

    Gosh, is there really such a place as Chocolate World?

     
  • At June 21, 2007 12:18 PM, Blogger delphi said…

    So glad you enjoyed your trip. The photo that Kristen posted of the butterfly was fantastic. I saw a similar butterfly the other day when I was walking to my car and I thought of you, Kristen, and our little boys.

     
  • At June 21, 2007 1:40 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    I'm glad you had a good trip! Can't wait to see pictures.

     
  • At June 21, 2007 4:58 PM, Blogger Cheek said…

    I must admit, although I certainly wish for healthy living children for everyone who wants one, that you and Kristin are two women who absolutely SHOULD have this wish come true. To hear that you were together in a safe and sacred space honoring your boys and hoping for the future just makes my heart sing.

    So glad you had a good vacation and sending good energy toward your latest cycle.

     
  • At June 24, 2007 1:04 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Welcome back, Sher! Thanks for sharing the highlights of your trip. I'm so happy that you were able to meet up with Kristin to get some hugs and chocolate. My fingers are crossed for you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home