Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Vindication

Just before I walked out of my job last month, I had a verbal exchange with one of my co-workers who was complaining about being awakened by his newborn at 3 in the morning.

The conversation didn't start out as a baby discussion; in fact, it started out as a compliment to me and how "together" I always looked when I marched into work each morning. So, he jokingly said that I must get up hours before work in order to "pretty myself up" for the day. I explained that I hopped out of bed a mere hour and half before work's starting time and didn't put all that much thought or energy into getting myself ready for the day, which was true.

He rolled his eyes and then said, "I wish I could sleep that much, but I'm up at 3 every fucking morning." Then he laughed.

I'm not sure why I felt the need to comment further, but I did. So, I replied, "You know, before you complain about having to be up at 3 in the morning, you might want to consider your audience, because some people would kill to be awakened in the middle of the night for the reason you're griping about."

He didn't say a word, but the look on his face spoke volumes.

With that, I turned and marched back to my work area, feeling somewhat better that I finally called someone out on an insensitive remark made about children in my presence.

I've grown weary of putting up a tough exterior when I'm bombarded by senseless comments like that. I realize, that had Ryan lived, Mike and I would've played up to the doting parent role as much as any new parent. But, I know we would've been humble enough and respectful enough not to go overboard, since you never know what horrors someone within earshot has undergone. He and I had already experienced our own losses and understood how emotionally debilitating it is to have the good news of others constantly rubbed in your face.

Even while pregnant with Ryan, I sometimes tried to hide my swollen belly because I didn't want to make anyone feel badly that I was happily pregnant, when so many other couples struggle to bring a child home. And now that I am one-half of a struggling, childless couple, it hurts that much more when people make tactless remarks such as my co-worker's. It would be like a newly married woman going on and on and ON about her fairytale wedding while within earshot of a newly widowed woman. It cuts you to the core.

I'm certainly not suggesting that people should harness their jubilation over the joys in their life, but there's no need to go overboard, and a little bit of tact can go a long way in saving a hurting soul's feelings.

I know that most people don't set out to harm others through hurtful talk or insensitive actions, but that doesn't prevent it from happening anyway. I just wish people would give a little more thought to what words spill from their mouths before it's too late. Once you've said it, you can't take it back and no apology is sincere enough to heal the invisible wound that's been reopened by inconsiderate words.

P.S. Even though the initial conversation with my co-worker had been side-tracked by my abrupt reply, I did thank him for his kind compliment on my appearance and demeanor at the start of each work day. I was flattered that someone noticed and thought enough of me to share their thoughts.

7 Comments:

  • At April 11, 2007 10:00 AM, Blogger Curly Glamour Girlie said…

    While I have never gone through what you have in losing a child, I can somewhat empathize with you. Having gone through chemo and radiation, we don't know if I will be able to get pregnant and it cuts me to the quick to hear people complain about their children. When I'm in that situation, I usually make a comment akin to what you did and remove myself from the situation. People never think about how their comments can hurt someone else. But I hear you loud and clear.

     
  • At April 11, 2007 4:18 PM, Blogger RollerCoaster said…

    I think it is great you are bringing this situation to light. I know I may have opened up my mouth without realizing who was in earshot and I know I have been in earshot and something was said that upset me as well. Thank you for opening up my eyes and accept my apologies if I have inserted my foot without realizing it.

     
  • At April 11, 2007 4:51 PM, Blogger delphi said…

    Well, girl, you are my hero. How many times have I wanted to do just what you have done here? I wish that we all had the guts to step forward and let people know that their careless comments hurt. I would hope that the number of careless comments would decrease exponentially as a result.

    Kudos!!

     
  • At April 11, 2007 10:50 PM, Blogger Samantha said…

    I always find myself wanting to say something to a parent when they are tearing their child down in the dept. store. I don't mean disiplining them formally, I mean saying hateful remarks about there behavior>

     
  • At April 12, 2007 6:11 AM, Blogger niobe said…

    Good for you for saying something to your thoughtless co-worker.

    When people go on and on about their babier, it does sometimes feel like people are rubbing it in. I know they're just not thinking, but still...

    But it's great that you were able to come out and say what I know I've thought many, many times.

     
  • At April 12, 2007 7:43 AM, Blogger Sherry said…

    Thanks for the support, ladies. = )

    I realized after posting this that someone outside the mourning-mommy community might construe my reply to my co-worker as being antagonistic and rude, but I assure you that I delivered my wake-up call in a calm manner. I had never had a problem with this particular co-worker, so I wasn't about to unleash my wrath, when really all my statement was meant to do was make him aware of others' plights and to be a little more grateful for having his children by his side in his day-to-day living - something that many of us can only dream of and long for.

     
  • At April 13, 2007 1:29 PM, Blogger Ruby said…

    I hope your statement did what it was meant to, make him more aware and grateful.

    What a nice compliment to you. "Together" is good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home