Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Setting the record straight

Although I've spent the last couple weeks keeping a low blogger profile, allowing the dust settle from the comment explosion over my Britney post, I've also spent some of that time really thinking about some of the comments left in response to that post.

There were more comments that followed on the heels of the original ones by "Britney," but I deleted them because they were absolutely atrocious. As I read the words of hate boiling over from that anonymous commenter, I just couldn't fathom that a mother who claimed to have also lost her baby could be so brutal and unsupportive of another mother in mourning.

What shocked me the most about the comments was the implication that the size of a mourning mother's grief is relative to the time she had with her baby. I certainly can't speak for anyone else's grief or losses but my own, but I would never presume that my feelings were more or less justified than someone whose baby was miscarried at nine weeks or born still or who died at a few weeks of age. It's a devastating loss, regardless of the circumstances, and making the comparison of "my grief is bigger than yours" is just reprehensible.

I only know my own personal grief over losing Ryan, which is far worse than any of my other losses combined, but the fact that I only "knew" him for 40 weeks and two days doesn't lessen my bond with him or my love for him ... nor should it. Ryan was conceived out of the enormous amount of love my husband and I share for one another, and his life will always be the beautiful tie that binds our hearts and souls together.

That pure love - and unending sadness over his absence - doesn't wane because we only had mere hours together instead of the decades that most parents share with their children. We love our son as much as any parent can love their child, living or not, so our love can't be minimized or dismissed simply because our time together was cut terribly short by tragically unforeseen circumstances.

8 Comments:

  • At September 26, 2006 7:09 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    Sherry--Your love for your son is evident in every word you write. Im sorry you had to deal with nasty comments.

     
  • At September 26, 2006 8:35 PM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    Well said Sherry. I couldn't agree with you more.

    ((((((HUGS)))))

     
  • At September 26, 2006 10:04 PM, Blogger delphi said…

    I don't believe that love is a straight-line curve based on time, and I never will.

    Well said, Sherry.

     
  • At September 26, 2006 10:52 PM, Blogger kate said…

    Very beautifully said.

     
  • At September 27, 2006 10:15 AM, Blogger Rian said…

    Sherry, thanks for posting this. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't be as sad because I have lost two children in the first trimester and never felt them move, or delivered and saw them. But it is true that a mother's love starts the moment she finds out that little baby is growing inside of her. There shouldn't be a scale of who is more justified in their grief.

     
  • At September 27, 2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Cheek said…

    Delurking to say that you are a class act, Sherry. I kept quiet during the comment shitstorm, but I was so impressed with your grace in a difficult situation.

    Your beautiful video tribute to Ryan and your loving birthday celebration, hell, every post you make shows what an impact his life made. Of course you have the right to grieve the loss of that precious life in any way you choose.

     
  • At September 27, 2006 4:08 PM, Blogger Cheek said…

    Oh, and just to set my own record straight, I blame no-one for that comment craziness except the original Britney-the-troll. I admired your Internet posse for leaping so fiercely to your defense.

    I realized my above comment might be taken the wrong way, and I didn't want to start another yick in this wonderful space.

     
  • At October 04, 2006 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree Sherry. What a shame people have to attack you with useless and quite nasty comments. I Just don't understand people like that! You have to be one cold hearted bitch to say that to another mourning mom!

    Best ignore people like that if you can, their not worth it.

    Regards

    Artblog

     

Post a Comment

<< Home