Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Tranquility

This is my lazy post of spring pictures; that way I'm only required to write captions. Since I have no seedlings to show off, I'll instead show the color and progress of my outside obsession as of last night.

I really enjoyed snapping these pictures. The weather was beautiful and there was a nice breeze. And, despite so much being taken from our backyard, there's still lots of beauty left to enjoy ...


Here is Ryan's tree. It's a Japanese Maple variety called "Lionheart." It was the only one of its kind last fall at the nursery and both Mike and I immediately fell in love with it. Beside the physical uniqueness of the tree, we felt the name was fitting since Ryan was a little Leo and the "heart" part of the name goes without saying. (And, please pardon my weeds in the background - someone forgot to do the trimming last weekend. Oops!)


The leaves on his tree are so delicate that I decided to include a close-up that shows better detail.


Here is our newest tree, a Pin Oak. It's been in the ground just a few weeks, but it is flourishing! We hung a thistle sock from the support post, and the golden finches can't stay away from it. Maybe they think we added this tree so they'd have an additional place to roost.


Do you see it?


In case you didn't see him (or her) in the other picture, here's a good profile shot. Darn toad scared the crap out of me when it jumped into one of my gardens. They're everywhere in our yard, but it still catches me off guard since they blend so well.


My first daylily blooms!


I got this rose on clearance in Fall 2004, just before I found out I was pregnant with Ryan. The variety is Chrysler Imperial and I've been extremely pleased with the hardiness of this rose. I haven't given it any special care - just rose food - but it's doing wonderfully well and smells so nice.


I can't remember the variety of this rose, but it was another clearance purchase. When I bought it last fall, the blooms were mostly cream and the tips of the petals were "dipped" with pink. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this gigantic bloom of mostly pink!


This rose - another name which escapes me - was planted just a month ago, and I'm so happy to see a bloom so soon. The particular garden where my roses are planted must have some magic dust in the soil since they grow so healthfully in that spot.

That's all. Hope you enjoyed them as much as I do! = )

P.S. Yes, I'm addicted to buying the "Charlie Brown Christmas tree" version of plants so I can nurture them back to health. They're usually a bargain and with a little TLC, I end up with beautiful plants without spending a fortune.

7 Comments:

  • At April 26, 2006 7:13 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    I love your pictures! I truly envy those who have the ability to nurture plants like this.

    I'm so glad you posted a pic of Ryan's tree too. Even before I read the caption I KNEW it had to be;-) And it is truly beautiful.

     
  • At April 27, 2006 8:20 AM, Blogger Momma Jen said…

    Wow! Those are beautiful! And that frog...how cute. Ryan's tree is breath-taking.

    When will come help me plant some things????

     
  • At April 27, 2006 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sherry, do you rent yourself out to do gardens for people? Seriously, I want you to come make my yard as beautiful as yours. Ryan's tree is so unique and breathtaking, and I love that the name fits him so well.
    We need more pics when you have more growth!

     
  • At April 27, 2006 10:42 AM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    Ryan's tree is so beautiful!! I just love it! The name is perfect and it's breathtaking, just like he was. :)

    I keep meaning to tell you that I think of Ryan almost every time we go for evening walks. All winter the constellation Orion has been clear as day, and every single time I see it it reminds me of Ryan and makes me smile.

    Thanks for the very inspiring garden pictures. Ooooh, I have SO much work to do...!!!

     
  • At April 27, 2006 12:24 PM, Blogger kate said…

    Beautiful! I love Ryan's tree...

    Is the purple rose 'Angel Face'? I used to have one, did not do well for me though...

    Roses & daylilies already...ah, the sunny south!

     
  • At April 27, 2006 12:46 PM, Blogger Sherry said…

    Kate,

    Yes! The little purply-pink rose IS an Angel Face! Thank you for knowing. = )

    I can't believe I forgot the name - the name was partly the reason for the purchase.

     
  • At April 28, 2006 12:35 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    I didn't realize you were a fellow gardening geek! Ryan's tree is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics...now I'd better get out and play in my garden.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home