Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Wednesday, July 18, 2007

And then there was one

I rarely talk about my mother and I've never written here about her. There's not much to say, really. I've never really known her and we never had a solid mother/daughter relationship. Never.

My mother isn't entirely to blame for the lack of a conventional relationship. As is the case with many people, she's had many issues throughout her life that affected the relationships around her and the choices she made regarding how she wanted to lead her life.

Even with that understanding that my mother has led a troubled life, it hasn't always been easy to accept that the person who brought me into this world wants nothing to do with me. It's hard to not take that personally; everyone wants to be loved, unconditionally, by their parents.

My grandmother did a wonderful job as my adoptive mother. I learned so much from her that I carry with me to this day, more than 20 years after her death. But when she died, I was only 16 years old and still needed parental guidance in the ways of the world. I guess that's why I eventually sought out my dad and tried my best to mend fences with him. And, even though he and I were never able to establish a typical father/daughter relationship, I at least had some kind of connection with him and I felt that something was better than nothing.

Since my dad's passing last August, I've had no one to talk to regarding life and everything that's happened in the past few years. I was able to talk to my dad about nearly anything and he never once judged me or my decisions. He always tried his absolute best to lend an unbiased and sympathetic ear and would only dispense advice when asked. And I know it tore him up inside when Ryan died, because he was helpless in making things better for me. His little girl was hurting and there was nothing he could do to change that.

I've thought of my mother very sporadically over the past few years, but earlier this week, something had me thinking about her more than usual. I'm not sure why, because it's not as though I was looking to reconnect with her or anything like that. I think it was sheer curiosity and nothing more.

I decided to search for her and went about looking for her online. But, I wasn't truly prepared for what I'd find. Through my searching, I found that she, too, is deceased.

This discovery struck me much harder than I had expected. Again, I wasn't looking to track her down, but I wasn't expecting to find that she had passed away, either. Actually, I don't know what I was expecting to uncover with my search; my mind is still a little fuzzy on my motive. But this news suddenly intensified my feelings of loneliness and I became painfully aware that I'm the only one left.

I know I'm a "big girl" now and am perfectly capable of making my own decisions. But, I don't think that voids my inate desire to have someone parent me. Besides, does anyone really get too old for that?

It's a terribly empty and sad feeling, knowing that I'm an adult orphan, with no other family to go to in times of need. I'm left to my own devices, whether I like it or not. There is no one to go to for help in making those important life-altering decisions. There is no one to impart their wisdom. Hell, I don't even have a sibling to bounce ideas off of.

I need someone to adopt me; I'm already potty-trained, if that helps.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • At July 18, 2007 10:47 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    (((hugs)))

     
  • At July 18, 2007 11:09 AM, Blogger Lori (mediamom) said…

    I'll adopt you :( I'm so sorry you have lost both your parents. (((huge hugs)))

     
  • At July 18, 2007 11:18 AM, Blogger Scrappy_Lady said…

    Come be my sister, Sherry. You'd fit right in my family.

    Seriously.

    Our door is open for every holiday and every regular day if you can make it.

    Our one rule, though, is that you need to have created your Chritmas list and posted it on Mom's fridge on Thanksgiving. No list, no food. ;)

    Honest. Come on up for a holiday or two.

     
  • At July 18, 2007 11:46 AM, Blogger RollerCoaster said…

    I can totally relate to where you are coming from. I am parentless, too and it sucks at times. I could use a replacement sister since mine is messed up anyway (long story).

    Can we adopt each other?

     
  • At July 18, 2007 1:59 PM, Blogger Ann Howell said…

    That must have been quite a shock, no matter what you were looking for. I'm so sorry, Sherry. (((Big hug)))

    I have some parentless friends who have compensated by building an extended network of friends, in-laws, acquaintances, etc. I hope you find your mentor; he or she may come from the unlikeliest of places...

     
  • At July 18, 2007 6:05 PM, Blogger L said…

    I kind of went through something similar recently. I am an adoptee from a closed adoption and recently found my bio parents. I've waited my whole life to meet them only to learn that my bio dad died four years ago. It's been a bummer. Lots of emotions I didn't expect.
    There are support groups online like Soul of Adoption that may be able to provide some support for you. I know I've found it helpful.

    ???

    It's very weird to feel a sense of loss for someone who is a complete stranger.

    I'm sorry.

    Anyway, I am thinking of you.

     
  • At July 18, 2007 10:51 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    (((hugs))), thinking of you too.

    Even though it may feel that way...you're definitely not alone...

     
  • At July 18, 2007 11:06 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    Big hugs to you. Anytime you want to visit the West Coast and get a dose of a wacky family that would welcome you with open arms. Let me know.

     
  • At July 19, 2007 9:46 AM, Blogger Chrissy said…

    I can only imagine the flood of emotions that came when finding out your bio mom passed. ((((((hugs)))))

     
  • At July 19, 2007 11:35 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Sherry, your mom missed out on getting to know a wonderful, strong, and bright person. It must be so hard to feel that unexpected loss, though. My thoughts are with you.

     
  • At July 20, 2007 8:35 AM, Blogger ARA said…

    I am so very sorry.

    It is a shame your Mom never knew a woman such as yourself. Your soul has a light that enhances and brightens every soul you touch.

     
  • At July 24, 2007 9:51 PM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    Oh my God, Sherry - I didn't know, I've been lax on my blog reading the last few days. I'm so sorry. I'm really so, so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine what a tremendous blow that must have been.

    I'll adopt you. You'll have to move up here, of course (wink wink).

    And as Scrappy Lady said, you are ALWAYS welcome here any time too. And for every holiday. ALWAYS.

    ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home