Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sherry, Sherry, quite contrary ...

... This is how my garden grows!

(Please don't judge me by the poor sense of humor I displayed in the title. I just couldn't resist the goofy play on words.)

I was looking for a way to do another light-hearted entry and decided I'd entertain everyone with pictures of my garden(s) and everything else that's been happening 'round these parts.


For my birthday (several weeks ago), I decided I'd put together my own birthday bouquet. I plucked yellow glads and an assortment of daylilies from one of my gardens and filled in the gaps with ivy. Never mind that I was itching to use my newly acquired Fiestaware vase I bought whilst on vacation.



Here is what's been keeping me busy ... and sweaty. I set up this rock garden the first year we were here (2003), but since that time, the ground has settled a bit and many rocks along on the border were sinking, and I was having a bit of a soil erosion problem. So, I dug up all the rocks, moved them out of the border, re-shaped the border, poured sand to build up the edges, and replaced the rocks. What's left to do: Add dirt to built-up bed, put a paver under the birdbath, and finish weeding.


This is Gary Gnome (pronounced "ga-nome"), protector of the rock garden. (Any "The Great Space Coaster" fans out there will understand the play on Gary's name.) Gary's domain includes a Crape Myrtle, a butterfly bush, an angel face rose, balloon flowers, Stella D'Oro daylilies, Black-Eyed Susans, and white and purple coneflowers.


Not a great picture, but one of the few I was able to capture of the Mockingbird babies in my honeysuckle bush.


Mama Mockingbird keeping a watchful eye as I admire her babies. She was none too happy about my curiosity, because she and her mate kept squawking at me and dive-bombing me. Lighten up, mom and dad!


Finally, the intended resident of the Bluebird box.


Wait ... that's not a weed.


It's little bunny froo-froo (or is it "foo-foo"?), hiding among my bearded irises and dianthus. (I couldn't resist and just HAD to touch that cute little thing.)



My current pride and joy: My lone Stargazer lily with NINE buds - five of which have opened. The entire downstairs smells so nice. Yes, I'm pretty proud of this effort.

The end.

I hope you enjoyed the picture show! = )

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home