Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Was that really it?

In life, I have always felt that we get an allocation of good fortune or blessings, and once that resource is tapped, that's it. And, more and more, I'm feeling that Ryan was my last shot at becoming a mother.

Yes, I know - I'm technically a mom, regardless - but, as a dear friend once said, having all your babies in heaven gets a little difficult on some days. But, I'm now seriously wondering if this is what's in the cards for me - to be a mom only to heavenly children.

Several times since Ryan's passing, I've questioned if he was my last shot at becoming a mom, and as cycle after horrible cycle passes me by with no subsequent pregnancy in sight, I'm becoming more convinced that this is my lot, whether I like it or agree with it or not.

Of course, the hopeless romantic in me wants to believe that something good eventually has to happen, but the more practical side of me realizes and understands the bigger picture in front of me, which isn't the prettiest one ever painted. I've already lost two pregnancies and have given birth to a child with severe heart defects. I have a sketchy family background, which makes it difficult to determine if Ryan's defects were indeed a cosmic fluke or a familial pattern. The nature of Ryan's defects related solely to the left side of his heart, meaning there's an increased risk of recurrence in a future pregnancy, especially if we have another son. My "advanced maternal age" is never far from my mind, either, since I'm constantly reminded of the increased risks during pregnancy, the higher rate of birth defects, and how much more difficult it is to get pregnant in the first place. Adoption was a consideration for us for all of two seconds, until we realized that there is no possible way we can afford that expensive option.

That's a lot of shit to overcome - especially when you have no control over any of those things. I can't tell my body to slow down and quit getting older; I can't erase what happened to Ryan; I can't repair my fractured family tree to find the answers I'll never get; we'll never be able to adopt, short of a financial windfall.

I'm really scared and sad that Ryan's birth was the pinnacle of my life and it's all downhill from here. And, unfortunately, from where I currently stand, I don't see any glimmers of hope over the horizon.

3 Comments:

  • At April 04, 2006 11:12 AM, Blogger Catherine said…

    I'm not sure if you want practical advice, or just a hug. So let me start with the hug.

    {{{hug}}}

    Now for the practical advice...adoption doesn't have to be too expensive. First, look for a domestic non-profit adoption agency. They keep costs low. Also, remember that the federal government offers a tax credit (up to a limit determined by a dollar limit and an income limit) in the year that you adopt. If you make the right combination, the tax credit from the government CAN cover most of your adoption expenses.

    I know it sucks having to watch a dream disappear...especially the dream of children. I'm so sorry you're having to think about this at all.

    Here's another hug just for good measure.

    {{{hug}}}

     
  • At April 04, 2006 12:26 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    ((((((Sher))))))

    I certainly hope that you haven't used up your "share" of good luck/fortune. I believe that the good you give out to the world is handed back to you.

    You and Ryan, as well as CK and Thomas, have given such an incredible gift of love and friendship to so many of us that there is no possible way you won't get that back!

    Waiting for it to happen is the not so easy part. I hope you won't have to wait too much longer.

     
  • At April 04, 2006 2:35 PM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    I can't believe this is all there is for you. I just can't.

    But if it is, I know that you'll still be able to find meaning and happiness and joy and fulfillment in your life. I know that as sure as I know the sun will rise tomorrow.

    I know I'm not in your head, but I've watched you handle Ryan's loss with such strength, courage, determination and love that I can't imagine you not finding a way to bring the meaning you want (and deserve) to your life no matter what it ends up holding for you.

    I'm always, ALWAYS hoping for the best for you and I hope, more than anything, that life is kind to you.

    ((((((((HUGS)))))))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home