Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Monday, April 03, 2006

A walk in the park

Yesterday Mike and I went to visit a new park that's across town. We wouldn't normally go to a park that's so far from our house, but this park has an area which is designated as a Children's Memorial Walkway.

We first learned of this walkway a couple months ago while flipping through the newest county guide to our parks and the activities/interests which are offered. Bricks that make up this walkway are engraved with information about children who have died, regardless of circumstances or age. We've been considering purchasing a brick for Ryan - as well as one for his angel buddy, Thomas - but we didn't want to buy one, sight unseen.

As usual, our trip started out innocently enough. But after reading several of the inscriptions along the walkway, I felt that unmistakable lump forming in my throat just as my eyes started to sting from the tears I was unsuccessfully trying to choke back.

I couldn't believe I was standing in the middle of this sea of anonymous, shared grief. I couldn't believe that there are so many - too many, actually - parents who understand and know the indescribable pain that comes from your child's unexpected, premature death. I couldn't believe that we were even having to consider buying a brick to commemorate our beloved son's too-short life.

A walk in the park on a beautiful spring day shouldn't be like that.

I really thought we'd spent a day like that pushing a stroller along the walking trails, stopping along the way to pick flowers and watch the wildlife at play.

I never imagined that instead I'd spend that outing sitting on a bench, crying my heart out and mourning a life which is no more.

2 Comments:

  • At April 04, 2006 1:26 PM, Blogger kate said…

    That is beautiful, and so sad. I am glad they have a walk like that, but the pain it represents is just so overwhelming...

     
  • At April 04, 2006 2:25 PM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    ((((((((HUGS)))))) Sherry. I can't believe it either - and I can't believe there are so many people out there who know our pain.

    It's not right. It's not fair. And I'm so, so sorry.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home