Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Who's still with me?

Sorry to leave you all hanging with last week's teaser entry. I just didn't want to jump the gun by sharing the thoughts in my head before I talked to Mike to get his take on things.

So ...

We both decided that we're not quite ready to give up on our dream of giving Ryan a biological sibling.

I know, I know. You must be thinking, "Would she make up her mind already?!" I apologize for being wishy-washy, since I'm usually very content in my decisions and choices and rarely renege.

But, choosing to hang on to hope that we'll have another baby is a valid reason to reconsider our decision to adopt. Right?

I kept having feelings of doubt about whether I was ready to move on to adoption. I guess that's a perfectly natural way to feel, but I just haven't been able to wholly embrace the thought of adoption. I can't tell you why I can't accept adoption, but I just can't right now. My heart is telling me that the time isn't right just yet.

This reassessment of our decision came about after Mike and I went out for dinner and were talking about his mental health and what things we could do on our own to aid in his treatment. (Surprisingly enough, we have some very open and honest conversations over dinner ... at restaurants.)

I, point blank, asked him what it would take to make him feel better about everything in our life. Without a moment of hesitation, his reply was, "For you to be pregnant ... but no pressure or anything."

So, his response sparked a new conversation - one where we decided that neither of us is ready to give up trying for another baby. He wasn't ready to jump back into the craziness of fertility treatments, which is completely okay with me because I wasn't ready for that, either. But, he has faith that we can do it on our own; our time just hasn't come yet.

Admittedly, my own faith was renewed a bit last week by the news that a dear friend is expecting twins. She's experienced fertility obstacles similar to my own and lost her sweet baby boy, too. Yet, she became pregnant on an unmedicated and unmonitored cycle! Yes, miracles do happen!

How can an outcome like that not have a positive effect on someone like me? She's living proof that until my doctor says otherwise, I still have a chance, too, of having another baby. I can't turn my back on that possibility yet. I just can't.

My fertility window may be slowly closing, but it's open enough that a miracle can squeeze through when I least expect it.

Here's to the return of hope ... cheers!

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

  • At July 25, 2007 10:24 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    I'm so happy to hear this, Sherry! (((hugs))) Miracles do happen every day. I am going to keep praying for one for you and Mike!!

     
  • At July 25, 2007 10:31 AM, Blogger JPAKAJR said…

    YAY I am so happy to hear this as well Sherry. Miracles happen when we least expect it.

    (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

     
  • At July 25, 2007 10:33 AM, Blogger Scrappy_Lady said…

    Cheers indeed!!

    I'm so glad that you and Mike can have those open conversations, even if they're in a restaurant. :wink

    I know I'm hoping for a miracle for you!!!

     
  • At July 25, 2007 10:43 AM, Blogger Chrissy said…

    Yay! Yay! Yay! I'm wishing you and Mike the best. I really hope you see a positive pregnancy test very very soon!

     
  • At July 25, 2007 11:02 AM, Blogger RollerCoaster said…

    May your little miracle be a twinkle in your eye RIGHT NOW! Here's to renewed hope!

    You just never know what can happen....

     
  • At July 25, 2007 1:11 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    Cheers indeed! Good luck...best wishes...and all that stuff.

     
  • At July 25, 2007 1:31 PM, Blogger A mommy's quest for a bigger plate... said…

    I have been a faithful stalker for the last 2 years. I am heartbroken every time I see another cycle pass. But I believe that you will be able to conceive soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mike. Fingers and toes crossed as well as some big baby making vibes!!! Hearts from Raleigh!

     
  • At July 25, 2007 4:47 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    YEEEEEAAAAHHH!!! (oops, did I type that "out loud"?)

    Prayers and lots of love coming your way from Rock Hill!! I'm crossing everything I can for you guys right now!

     
  • At July 25, 2007 7:27 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    ((((((((hugs))))))) and lots of hope and wishes for good things to happen for your family.

     
  • At July 25, 2007 7:59 PM, Blogger delphi said…

    I am sorry that your decisions from a few weeks ago sat so wrong with you both (because I know how unsettling that can be), but happy to know that you feel it is right to try some more. I know how much importance I placed on having a second (this time successful) pregnancy. I don't know if I could give up that dream very easily. If it feels right to try some more, then I think you are definately right to head in that direction.

    Hugs, hope, and happiness to you.

     
  • At July 26, 2007 2:20 PM, Blogger Ruby said…

    Looking forward to your reading about your (soon-to-be) little miracle!

     
  • At July 26, 2007 8:46 PM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At July 27, 2007 11:36 AM, Blogger Rian said…

    So happy to hear that you are continuing in your efforts for a biological child. Miracles do happen and I pray yours will be soon!!!!

     
  • At July 31, 2007 8:17 AM, Blogger kate said…

    Hi Sherry,

    I didn't realize you were blogging again...so now i have & am reading again. My blog went by invite only so send me an email if you want an invite...address is in my profile.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home