Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Tuesday, August 05, 2008

It's different this time

As Ryan's third birthday looms ever closer, I'm realizing how differently I feel this year compared with the two previous years. And, I feel worse instead of better.

I really expected Megan's presence to soften this year's August blow, but instead I'm finding myself grieving for Ryan in a new way.

When Ryan died, I grieved not only for the little life that was lost, but for all the things that Mike and I lost as parents. We were only able to imagine what we'd missed, but didn't really understand or appreciate just how much we'd missed till Megan arrived. Now, a new side of that grief has emerged and the emotion behind it is as raw as what I felt when Ryan first died. I feel like I've lost him all over again, because I have seen and experienced so much with Megan, and all of that is nothing more than dashed hopes and dreams with Ryan. No little giggles and goofy grins; no little songs to share; no milestones to enter into the baby book. Just lots of bittersweet memories and stinging tears.

I'm also feeling and fearing that some people in my life have forgotten him now that his sister is here. I sense it in a lot of things that people say to me - as if her arrival erased him from others' memories or thoughts. I suppose those people might be trying to spare my already-weary heart and head, but it hurts more to think that people want to brush his memory aside as if he didn't matter.

I guess it's really true with this grieving thing, that sometimes you take one step forward and two steps back. But, right now, I feel like I just stepped back into a bottomless pit.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

  • At August 05, 2008 1:10 PM, Blogger kate said…

    ((((((hugs))))))

    I got nothing useful to say, but i am thinking of you and Ryan.

     
  • At August 05, 2008 1:11 PM, Blogger kate said…

    should say 'I have nothing', sorry for the poor grammar!

     
  • At August 05, 2008 1:53 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    I have always felt that "knowing" what was lost is a unique and strange pain to deal with. Happiness and sadness all wrapped up together. I hope that August is as gentle on you as it can possibly be.

     
  • At August 05, 2008 2:06 PM, Blogger Gusgirl said…

    Sherry,

    I am thinking of you and remembering Ryan for the special boy he was.

    Love to you and Mike.

    Anita

     
  • At August 05, 2008 3:27 PM, Blogger Doodle - said…

    Your words make total sense.

    Many hugs and kisses!

     
  • At August 05, 2008 10:29 PM, Blogger a rogers said…

    Sherry,
    Having Megan only makes you more aware of what you've missed without Ryan. You will probably always think of what he'd be like or doing as big brother. I lost a sister as a child 40 years ago and I honestly still cry sometimes thinking of what a difference she would have made in my life.

    Hang in there,
    A Rogers

     
  • At August 06, 2008 12:21 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    I'm glad you posted this. I had something I wanted to send to you then second guessed myself. I guess my original thought was a good one. I'm such a dork sometimes. I'll pop it in the mail this week.

    He isn't forgotten...just sometimes well meaning people think too much and don't know what to say/do. ((((hugs)))

     
  • At August 06, 2008 2:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    (((Sherry)))

     
  • At August 06, 2008 10:41 PM, Blogger Nikki said…

    ((((Sherry)))) all I can say is that Ryan is always in my thoughts he became a special person to my family and we will never forget his too short of life with us. Many many hugs to you and Mike during this time...Happy early Birthday to sweet sweet angel Ryan...our candle will be lit

     
  • At August 07, 2008 3:48 PM, Blogger ladywithasong said…

    Sher, big hugs to you my friend :(

    I think it all makes perfect sense. I really do.

    And I'm so sorry :(

     
  • At August 07, 2008 4:45 PM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    I haven't forgotten Ryan, or his birthday. Something should be arriving soon...

    (((((HUGS)))))

     
  • At August 09, 2008 10:11 AM, Blogger Brandi said…

    I read this post and really see a lot of myself in it. I knew what I was missing with Chrislyn because she was my second baby... but I didn't fully appreciate all of the things I missed out on with her until Brayson was born. I also know what you feel with thinking people forgot now that Ryan's sister is here... I have found that a lot of times, people do not mention him because they don't want to "bring up sadness." Unfortunately, those who have not walked a mile (or an inch) in our shoes do not realize that sadness is not brought up.. it's ALWAYS there. Chrislyn would turn 14 this November - no one in my family and most of my friends acknowledge her birthday anymore. I suppose they think I have forgotten now that I have 4 more children. A momma never forgets. I know that those who have been touched by Ryan will let you know in their own special ways. Lots of love to you.

     
  • At August 13, 2008 2:11 PM, Blogger A said…

    I haven't forgotten Ryan. I came over to let you know I was thinking of you all knowing Ryan's Birthday was around this time (I didn't know the exact date though).
    (((hugs)))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home