Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Like I don't have enough to obsess about

On Friday night, while in the midst of brushing my not-so-pearly whites, I experienced a whopper of a BH contraction. Never experienced anything like that before with Ryan, so it caught me quite off guard and, honestly, scared me a little bit.

There was nothing about it that would be startling for most women, but the discomfort was so intense that I had to sit down, toothpaste still pooling in my mouth. After approximately 10 seconds, my belly returned to its softer state and I felt "normal" once again. Two more of these contractions followed, but their intensity paled in comparison to the first one. After the last one had passed, I picked up the trusty doppler and listened to little Gummy, who seemed to be oblivious to the whole thing, judging by her constant tumbling and normal heartrate.

I took it easy the rest of the night by propping my feet up on the footrest of the recliner and drinking lots and lots of water.

But, of course, the whole experience got my mind thinking and wondering what I would've done if those hadn't been BH contractions and instead had been the real deal. With all the worries I've had, I never gave a second thought to the possibility of premature labor. I've been so wrapped up in having a heart-healthy baby that I've thought of little else but that. That's the only worry I've had since losing Ryan.

Rather short-sighted, I know, but I think most moms with my experience have that one thing during a subsequent pregnancy that they focus on more than all else, and mine was making a baby with a healthy heart.

Chances are good that I'll carry to term, but that new realization from Friday is still with me. Thankfully, Gummy would have a fighting chance if she decided to be impatient and greet the world sooner rather than later. Let's hope she takes after her mama and isn't ever early for anything.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At March 12, 2008 12:57 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    (((hugs))) - BH's can be brutal with a second PG. I kept wondering if I was going into labour as well because I didn't go into labour by myself with M so I had nothing to compare it with. They can take your breath away and everything can still be totally fine.

     
  • At March 12, 2008 7:21 AM, Blogger niobe said…

    How scary. And you're absolutely right that we tend to focus our worries on the things that happened to us before I know I do, anyway.

     
  • At March 12, 2008 4:04 PM, Blogger Rosepetal said…

    (((hugs)). I feel the same.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home