Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Sunday, March 02, 2008

My "urban legend"

Mike and I were blissfully talking about our little Gummy the other day, wondering all the things most expectant parents ponder, when it occurred to both of us that all of this still feels like a dream and not necessarily something that could come to fruition.

We assume that Gummy will be okay and get to come home with us, but we only know the bad outcomes to our past pregnancies. We only know the things where most people can say, "I knew so-and-so who lost a baby" or "I knew a couple who had multiple losses." We know those people, too, and unfortunately we are those people.

That's all we know. For us, bringing a baby home is our version of an urban legend, since "we know so-and-so who brought a baby girl home," but have no personal knowledge about what it's like to welcome a baby into our home. At times, it almost seems like a fantasy and I feel silly for believing this all could really happen.

We've gone through these motions before, with the anticipation and dreaming and preparing, which is why we're both feeling so guarded and apprehensive at the moment. And neither of us knows how to shake those feelings to truly believe that there will be a healthy, happy baby at the end of this journey. It's really, really hard to have that faith when all you know personally is the bad that supposedly "happens to other people."

We are those other people. We exist. We're real and our baby died.

So, now I'm hoping we can know what's on the other side of the coin and know that there are truly good pregnancy outcomes - not just ones that we hear about happening to someone else.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At March 02, 2008 11:21 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    I'm hoping and prayng right along with you Shari......((((((hugs))))))

     
  • At March 03, 2008 5:33 AM, Blogger Rosepetal said…

    I have exactly the same feeling. I have occasionally caught myself fantasising about a future which includes a living baby, but I tend to catch myself doing it, slap myself mentally and say "stop being so naive".

     
  • At March 03, 2008 9:55 AM, Blogger Catherine said…

    Even though I already had one living child at home, I will forever remember the moment in the delivery room when I said, "Is he ok?" and the doctor replied, "He's perfect." It changed my life. Looking back now on Myles' birth I feel so much about that one single moment I can't even really describe it. I feel in my heart that you will have that moment. And I look forward to hearing about it.

     
  • At March 03, 2008 8:22 PM, Blogger a rogers said…

    Please stop beating yourself up and enjoy these 9 months which are so special...Gummy is coming and she's going to be fine. I was 36 when my first and only child was born and I didn't let myself enjoy the time because of the same kinds of worries you're having. You're going to be such a wonderful mother!
    A. Rogers
    Wilson, N.C.

     
  • At March 03, 2008 9:21 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    Sherry...I misspelled your name, I'm a dufas! Sorry!

     
  • At March 04, 2008 6:43 AM, Blogger kate said…

    Like Catherine, i already had a living child but yet i had the same experience with expecting Chloe. I think it is just the road after a loss. I also am hoping & praying with you.

     
  • At March 04, 2008 5:23 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Sherry, I thought exactly the same thing. It just made more sense to me to lose the baby than to bring him home. That's all I knew. Now I'm looking at him on the floor, playing with his Fuzzy Bee and Friends book and still wonder how he got here. Good things happen. They really do ((hugs))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home