Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Friday, September 16, 2005

Missing Buddha

Since Ryan's death, my mind has been working in strange ways. Conversations or incidents that took place while I was pregnant will suddenly pop into my head. I certainly don't mind, though. Those nine months were the absolute happiest months of my entire life. And I do mean the happiest ever.

That being said, yesterday I was remembering how strange it was to look at my profile while I was "in that special way." I'd look at my belly hump and wonder what was going on in there with my little Peanut. On one occasion, Mike was watching me while I scrutinized my ever-changing body. He told me how wonderful, radiant, and beautiful I looked while pregnant. The compliment caught me off guard, since most days I felt as though I was waddling around like some lost duck and couldn't have felt more unattractive to the outside world.

But yesterday, I finally admitted to myself just how much I absolutely loved being pregnant and loved that Buddha belly. Despite the weird faces I'd make while examining my baby belly, I secretly loved how it looked and how it felt to rub it, especially when I'd get the occasional kick or nudge from my hibernating cub.

I had never felt so alive during that time and now I feel so empty and lost. Sure, I can still rub my much-smaller Buddha belly, but it's just not the same. That magical feeling that came from rubbing it is gone, just like my special little boy.

For old time's sake, maybe I need to go look at my belly again and rub it one more time for luck.

1 Comments:

  • At September 16, 2005 10:21 AM, Blogger msfitzita said…

    I miss my belly too. Sometimes I lay my hand where Thomas used to kick the most and the emptiness I feel, both literally and figuratively, is staggering. I wonder if that ever goes away?

    I like your idea of rubbing it for good luck though. I did that last night. I was desperately willing everything to work as it should, as if somehow my hand on the outside could influence whatever may be going on on the inside.

    I guess we'll see. But hoping for good luck certainly can't hurt.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home