Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Monday, October 29, 2007

Scare #1

Today I experienced my first true scare with this pregnancy. I pretty much knew it was inevitable, but I was still hoping to avoid any sort of scare nonetheless. I already have enough to worry about without history wanting to repeat itself in its worst way.

I had been very happy, albeit still nervous, because this pregnancy had been the longest I've ever been pregnant without experiencing any spotting. Emphasis on had, as today my heart skipped a beat when I saw the tiny tinge of color on the toilet paper. There's practically nothing that can suck the wind out of the sails of an anxious, paranoid pregnant woman with previous losses faster than seeing that can.

I called my OB's office and my OB was nice enough to return my call himself. He tried his best to reassure me, pointing out that all my bloodwork thus far has been good and my ultrasound last week was great. And, he further explained that I have a subchorionic hemorrhage (seen at my first ultrasound), so seeing a bit of blood can be completely normal.

Normal for him, maybe; but, terrifying for me.

Other than with Ryan, all of my pregnancies ended with the onset of spotting. And, I don't buy into the reassurance of the color I'm seeing on the toilet paper, as I've seen the "safe" color in the past, only to miscarry anyway.

I just seem to have a knack for being on the side of the bad odds, which is why this recent episode has me scared shitless. I keep poking my boobs, just to make sure they really are still tender. And, I've probably used more toilet paper for "patrolling" than I'd use in a regular day.

But, all I can do is sit and wait for my next appointment on November 20, when I should be just shy of 12 weeks along. That's three long weeks away.

The deep breathing commences. That's all I can do.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

  • At October 29, 2007 10:47 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    (((Sher))) I'm so sorry about the spotting today. I hope it really is nothing to worry about - though I know that you will until you get to see your precious little bean again.

     
  • At October 29, 2007 11:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    (((HUGS))) I'm so sorry about the spotting. I wish I could do something to help. I know that nothing will stop the worrying until you see your little on.

     
  • At October 30, 2007 1:06 AM, Blogger Denise said…

    (((hugs))) on the spotting. I know all about the TP patrol. If it helps ease your mind any...I had spotting with M and T...it freaked me out but they were fine. Continued sticky vibes and good wishes.

     
  • At October 30, 2007 11:34 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    I know it's scary - Take some reassurance that the OB thinks it's ok.

     
  • At October 30, 2007 12:25 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    Hang in there. I'm going to go with the doc on this one. Don't you dare prove me wrong, ok?

     
  • At October 30, 2007 4:13 PM, Blogger CappyPrincess said…

    The waiting is the hardest part. Just keep breathing - it's scary but it's not always a bad sign. Lots of prayers for you.

     
  • At October 30, 2007 5:38 PM, Blogger Rosepetal said…

    I'm sorry for this scare and hope it remains just that. Can they not see you before then for a quick appointment, for your sake rather than for medical establishment's sake?

     
  • At October 30, 2007 10:31 PM, Blogger Ruby said…

    I'm so sorry about the spotting. Waiting can be torture in a situation like this.

    Your in my prayers.

     
  • At November 01, 2007 8:47 AM, Blogger kate said…

    yeah, can't they take a quick peek with the u/s for you? Thinking of you...

     
  • At November 01, 2007 12:01 PM, Blogger niobe said…

    If you feel that worried (and I know I would too), why not insist that you get an earlier u/s?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home