Ryan was here ...



My not-so-sweet nothings, mostly comprised of my feelings at losing my two-day-old son, Ryan David, to congenital heart defects, and to celebrate the arrival of Ryan's healthy little sister, Megan Elizabeth, and hopefully welcome another little miracle into our brood in July 2010.


Tuesday, October 09, 2007

No vacancy

I guess it's time to take the sign out of the window, because it seems that a new tenant is ready to take over Ryan's old home.

My first prenatal appointment was today, and I can't even begin to explain how relieved I am that it's behind me. The build-up to today has been agonizing and I haven't been sleeping well, thanks to overactive pregnancy hormones that are wreaking havoc on my once-peaceful slumber. It's a difficult thing when your safe haven (bedtime) suddenly becomes a battlefield, and all your fears and worries manifest themselves into terrifying nightmares.

But, apparently, vivid dreams are quite usual in pregnancy. Mine just aren't the normal kind of feel-good dreams with fluffy white clouds and beautiful rainbows. But, my life isn't like that, either, so I guess I can't expect my dreams to reflect that - at least not yet.

By today's ultrasound measurements, I'm six weeks along. There wasn't a definitive resident in that gestational sac, but there was definitely a yolk sac and lots of reason for us to trust and believe that our little resident will be moved in and settled within the next two weeks, when I have my follow-up ultrasound.

I'm very grateful that I have such a caring OB now, because I felt so abandoned by my last one after Ryan died. I was always met with pitying looks from the front desk staff the moment I entered the door. Everyone there knew what had happened, and I always hated the feeling of dragging my black cloud of doom with me into their happy baby practice. I was a sad reminder of what can happen, and I threw off their statistics. But my new OB, as well as all the staff, has been so hopeful in helping us grow our family. Sometimes I think Dr. B. had more faith in our success than I had in ourselves.

Today was difficult, too, because I couldn't stop thinking about Ryan. I looked at the picture of his sweet face that sits next to the bed, and I couldn't help but think about all the wonderful and exciting appointments he and I shared. And, I hate that he can't be there to share in them this time, too, as his little brother or sister makes their way into our life. I know he's there in spirit, but I'm missing the physical part of him that I can't have.

The next two weeks are going to go by terribly slow and I know there will be no guarantees at my next appointment, but I'm feeling positive enough that I'm ready to accept and believe that I can finally take down my "vacancy" sign and trust that this tenant is here to stay.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At October 10, 2007 11:22 AM, Blogger niobe said…

    It's awfully good to hear about your hopefulness.

    Everyone there knew what had happened, and I always hated the feeling of dragging my black cloud of doom with me into their happy baby practice.

    I know exactly what you mean. Gosh, with my *two* dead "babies" (and I put that in quotes, 'cause they died at 20 weeks and 26 weeks, so not exactly "babies" in the usual sense of the term) I felt terrible because I knew that I had really screwed up the ob's stats. Even in a high risk practice, that must not have looked good for any potential patients.

     
  • At October 10, 2007 4:08 PM, Blogger Rosepetal said…

    I'm glad you got some relief out of your appointment today Sherry. Also glad that you have a caring OB.

     
  • At October 12, 2007 11:25 AM, Blogger Ruby said…

    I'm glad your OB appointment went well. Keep that positive attitude. I'll be hoping and praying for you.

     
  • At October 14, 2007 12:30 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    Sherry...I have been out of touch from the blog world for a while, so to return, and find this amazing, wonderful, news, is making my night. Please know that I will be praying for you all...it's all that I have to offer, but I truly believe in the power of prayer. One day at a time is all you can do...one minute st a time, even. Just know, that you have so many people rooting and praying for all of you!!!

     
  • At October 16, 2007 10:29 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    CONGRATULATIONS! I hadn't checked your blog in a few weeks, and WOW! Yay! I am so excited for you guys and for the sweet little one growing in there! I am saying lots of prayers for you...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home